Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Happy New Year!

...in China.  So I'm a little late for posting this, but I've been a little busy.  But hey, Chinese New Year was just a couple of days ago, so I can't be too late.

So I did it!  Yay.  As I've mentioned before, the whole not buying clothes thing wasn't very hard, especially since I started with a wealth of clothing.  Some good things came out of it though.  I learned to do more sewing things, I saved some money (kinda), and I now no longer have an everlasting need for clothing.  It has really been a problem for most of my life, and it is honestly very freeing to be unattached to that need.  The part that made it the easiest was not even going to clothing stores.  I was actually in a Marshall's the other day, and it was almost painful not to stop in the clothing section after being in a clothing famine for so long.  I plan on keeping up with the no clothing thing as long as I can; now that I'm making my own money, saving on clothing seems much more pragmatic.


Another thing I learned was that I'm not particularly good at blogging.  I have this tendency to overload myself with things to do, and the weakest link was the blog, hence why there weren't many updates.  So, in lieu of actually having made more blog posts, here is my list of things that happened in 2014 that I neglected to blog about:

1. Got engaged - Stereotypically speaking, no one should be surprised that the 23-year-old with the sewing blog just got engaged.  I know there has been a lot of talk on the interwebs about all these people that get married in their early 20's, and I'm not going to try to convince anyone of anything.  All I'm going to say is if you were dating my fiance, you would have married him years ago.

2. Got a job, got a job, quit a job - Lots of job.  The specifics don't really matter.  All of the sudden, I made the grand transition from "kid" to "adult."  They tell you all through college "you're an adult now" (I know this.  My job entails telling college students this everyday.), but things don't get real until you are suddenly expected to communicate efficiently, dress appropriately, and act responsibly 8 hours per day, at least.  It's one of those things people can tell you all about until they are blue in the face, but you're not going to be fully capable of doing it until a month after you start your first job.  Because, yeah, we've had internships, talked with professors, and what have you, but try doing that for a full 8 hours.  Then 5 days.  It gets tiring.

An outfit you might wear as an adult?  Sorry, it was the only picture I had.


3. Took the MCAT - At one point I was working 2 jobs and going to 10 hours of MCAT course.  There is not a more upsetting way to prepare for the MCAT than that.

4. Saw the alps - Did I mention that I went to Switzerland?  It's one of those things I meant to mention, since this is the "Swiss Miss Seamstress."  Here are pictures as payment for my lateness.

5. Saw the rockies - Because the Alps aren't enough, I also saw the Rockies with the wonderful Tehya.

6. Made some stuff - Okay, so there was some stuff I made that I didn't blog about.  But if you read above, you'll see why.


Found some hunky fireman fabric and made a kindle cover
... and some boxers


7. Never bought a piece of clothing... kinda - Okay I told a little lie.  There was one piece of clothing I did buy during my 365 day clothing famine.  However, I think you'll forgive me for this one.  It was my wedding dress.  Now to be fair, I'm not actually getting it until April.  And yes, I know what you're thinking.  "Alissa, how come you aren't making your wedding dress?"  Great question, attentive reader.  After spending an entire year sewing instead of buying, you find out one really great fact: sewing clothing is difficult and incredibly time consuming.  Now, I'm not knocking making your own clothes.  However, when it comes to that most important day of your life, you want what you wear to be at least better than mediocre, which is not what I would use to describe my handiwork.

So now you may ask yourself, what is the future of this blog?  Meh, I dunno.  To be frank, I don't think I'm good at blogging, nor do I particularly enjoy it.  I appreciate the comments people have left more than the commenters know, but they are few and far between.  It's kind of difficult feeling like you're talking to no one.  That being said, I think I am still going to keep it alive.  There is something to be said for having a medium through which to express yourself and to keep you accountable.  So keep the comments coming, and I'll keep the projects coming.

Sincerely,

Alissa

4 comments:

  1. I love this post on so many levels. Also yes you should have married Alvin years ago. When he made you wine sorbet on your like third date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stop blogging, you have an awesome talent of being blunt and funny! The internet needs you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigoodness the Alvin comment: "If you were dating my fiancé, you would have married him years ago." >.< <3 I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AFK Arena Tier List the top best legends in the game to concentrate on at clearly the starting stage and to the till end. We should take a gander at our AFK Arena.
    AFK Arena Before starting the game, you should know by a wide edge a colossal piece of the bits of getting concerning your legends. For the various stages, as on timetable, mid.
    Locate the best amazing individuals for your social occasion in this AFK Arena level once-wrapped up. Legends are molded subject to how strong they are and how much respect they bring.
    afk arena tips and tricks

    ReplyDelete