Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Sari it's been so long!


My sari fabric
A lot has been happening lately, and I'm sorry to say it has taken me away from sewing a bit.  I recently graduated and became an adult, so now I have to work in order to feed myself.  I even made a big girl budget and everything ($25 a month for fabric... I tried to be mature about it).  It's all been a fun and different experience, but I'm starting to understand why people stay in school for so long.  Now I spend 15 minutes at the store trying deciding whether or not to buy 36 rolls of paper towels because it's cheaper, and then I come home and have to find a place for 36 rolls of paper towels.  Times used to be so much simpler.



Here's Jacob the dog asking me why I made him a dog bed out of 36 paper towel rolls.

At any rate, I sewed something today.  I was at the fabric store a couple of weeks ago, and I found some sari fabric on sale.  At first I hesitated because I didn't know if was taboo to make something out of sari fabric that wasn't a sari. When I told the woman at the counter I was making a skirt out of the fabric and she didn't give me a judgey look, I decided it was okay.  I was pretty excited about the fabric because it was pretty dense and such a beautiful royal blue color, so I called my mom to tell her about it.  She replied, "Don't you read your own blog???" and reprimanded me for buying fabric when in my last post I said I had too much, but thanks to my adult decision making, it's all in the budget.  And that's what I tell myself every time I pass that giant pile of fabric in my room.

To think, I had a fear of zippers.

It turned out to be a good project, and because the fabric was so thick, I didn't even have to use interfacing.  The only problems were it took a couple of ironings to get the fabric to be flat and it frayed a lot, but both were manageable.  Look, this time I didn't say that the fabric was terrible to deal with!  I must be growing as a seamstress.

I used Simplicity 2451 for the pattern, which is a very simple, easy to follow pattern.  This is actually the second time I've used this pattern.  I tried to make a skirt for myself before, but it was too tight on me.  I gave it to a friend whose senior pictures I took:

You might recognize her from here

Speaking of pictures, as you might have noticed, I got a new camera!  No more Ashton Kutcher point and shoot Nikon for me.  I got a used DSLR, so hopefully as time progresses, you'll be seeing some good pictures from me.

Jacob the dog wasn't into it as much as I was...
Cheers,

Alissa

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite post so far. Love it and miss you!

    ReplyDelete