Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Homemade of Honor



Me and my home made maid of honor dress on the left.
As I mentioned in my glitter shoes post, I was blessed enough to be the maid of honor for my friend Mariela's wedding.  Their wedding was absolutely beautiful, and Mariela looked stunning.  I could go into detail, but one of the brides maids has a wedding blog much more successful than my I-do-it-myself-because-I'm-cheap blog, and you should just check out her post.




Me, the bride's maids, and two of my best friends.
All the maids were required to wear any dress that was a light blue or mint color, so I got to work.  We also had to wear gold shoes, so I chose a light blue georgette over layed with a gold lace.  Honestly, I have no idea what georgette is.  I feel so technical when I say it, but I just saw the color and ordered it online.  I am not qualified to be working with georgette.  First of all, it's much more see through than the website let on.  I ended up having to line the dress because you could see straight through the lace and the georgette, so that was just that much more work I had to do.  Also, georgette lying on the floor is a lot different than georgette hanging off a dress.  It would stretch in weird ways to where it would hang lower than I thought it was going to when I hung it up.  It was insanely frustrating, and I sewed the entire dress a week before the wedding.  I know, I know.  I should plan things better.  But between studying for a human infectious disease class, studying for the MCAT, and preparing for a ballroom competition, one doesn't really have time to be a pseudo housewife.


Me making a speech and a weird face.
The gentleman who caught the garter and I.
The process was frustrating, grueling, and time consuming, but the dress came out fantastic.  I had no idea it was going to turn out this well.  Everyone asked me where I got it, and I nearly died every time I got to say I made it.  My boyfriend got real tired of me just soaking up all the glory.
My flowers
I was on train duty.
The bride and bride's maids
Accidental photobomb...
With the shoes and the dress, this outfit was my first ever completely homemade outfit.  The wedding reception was a total hit, and I even caught the bouquet:


Everyone after was like "Woa girl, you must really want to get married!"  But no.  The point of the bouquet toss was to catch the bouquet.  I'm 5'10'' and was a soccer goalie for 7 years.  Do you think I'm going to lose this?  And also, how do you think I would feel about this if I did lose?  This is all about pride. 







To summarize, making the dress was pretty challenging, but the final product made it worth it.  I swore so many times during the process that I was never going to make a dress again, but after seeing the final product, I couldn't help but think of more dresses to make.

1 comment:

  1. eeee so pretty! and i see the dress that is the exact same that i wore to DWTS:UT :)

    ReplyDelete