Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

My First Client



I constantly get posed this question:

"So... how is that no buying clothes thing going?"

Answer: Fine.  I've suddenly realized I own a ton of clothes, so it's not really a challenge.

I know, how anti-climactic.  It's almost as if all my Banana Republic bargain hunting has been in preparation for this year.  I even recently purged my closet and sent a ton of stuff to Goodwill.  What does that mean?  Time for another challenge!

Earlier this year, I was talking to my beautiful friend Kyra, and she mentioned to me that she wanted a dance dress but didn't want to pay through the nose for it.  Of course, I responded "I MAKE STUFF," and we raced off to Google to find some dance dresses I could make for her. 

Now, I admit, I took this on without realizing how difficult it would be.  Sure, I have made dresses before, but there are added challenges to making dance dresses, especially if they are not for you.  First of all, dance fabric is the worst (this is what I say about pretty much every fabric isn't it?).  It's stretchy and slippery and just wants to do its own thing.  As I mentioned with Tehya's dress, not being able to try on a dress leaves a lot to guess about.  Sure, I took measurements, but dance dresses generally need to fit like a glove which is hard for a novice sewer to accommodate when the model is not present.

All this being said, it was a great experience.  I learned a whole lot, and guess what?  I got over my fear of zippers!  I shall no longer have zipper themed nightmares.

I made the dress based on McCalls 6463 and the bottom based on this dress worn by my friend Michelle:





And here's the final product:



Can't even see that zipper.  I'm such a pro.

Sorry there aren't too many pictures.  I was busy during the competition competing in over 30 events (no big... got top three in all of them...) so I didn't get a chance to snap any.  Kyra wore the dress for the Austin Open, UT's ballroom dance competition.  Tehya was also there wearing her newly stoned dress (pictures soon).  Here is a video of Kyra and her partner and their awesome dance moves:



Aren't they wonderful?  Love me some cha-cha.

The dress took me 14 hours total, and it was pretty exciting to get a check for doing my hobby.  Kyra was such a wonderful client, and she even helped put on the rhinestones.  I was thinking of doing a "how to stone a dress" post, but to be honest, I'm no expert.  I have these tips: E6000 glue (Target), toothpicks, tweezers.  You're on your own for the rest.

And if making a blog isn't narcissistic enough, here's my partner and I dancing the Viennese waltz:

That bow at the end is the Alissa signature I'm-so-tired-get-me-off-this-floor bow.

I've sewed everything on my to do list, so I'm looking for more challenges!  COMMENT about things you want me to sew!  I love comments!

Alissa

1 comment:

  1. Well. If you're really looking for a challenge, you could try a tailcoat since those are ridiculously expensive. Also if anyone I know could do it, it'd be you. :D

    ReplyDelete