Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Simple Clutch

Not buying clothes for a year is going not so great.  I haven't bought any clothes, but I have bought an unreasonable amount of fabric.  So much so that I'm pretty sure I'm spending the same amount or more money on fabric per month than I was spending on clothes.   My house is littered with Joann Fabric receipts, and I have projects piling up.  I'm pretty sure if I quit school and just sewed, I wouldn't even have enough time to make all of these projects.  It's like go hard or go home Martha Stewart Style.

To remedy this, I was determined to create something out of materials I already had, and other than some interfacing I had to buy, I was successful.  And here you have it: a simple clutch.




I'm not kidding (yes, I know an anomaly) when I say simple.  Designing and making the clutch took me maybe 2 and a half hours.  To make it, I used my grandmother's fabric (vintage 70's) and lace and a button from a stash my mom gave me. 


I don't just mention my fabric recycling to exaggerate how great I am at throwing gobs of money at fabric stores; you can use any fabric lying around to make this clutch.  Maybe you have some worn out t-shirts or jeans?  Or a cardigan you don't want anymore?  In this world of hipster-pinterest-refashioning, the possibilities are endless.
The most important thing to have for this project is creativity, which I tend to have too much of.  Once I think of something, I always have to incorporate it into my project, no matter what point I am at.  I tried to restrain myself and keep the word "simple" in mind when making this.   My biggest (and most unnoticeable) touch of creativity on this clutch was the scalloped seam I put on the credit card holder.

This is in no way meant to be a credit card ad.
 Here are some other variations that can be made with this clutch (me making this list is my method of coping with not using them):
  1. Lace in different places (the back, the inside, ect.)
  2. Using a snap instead of a button for easy opening 
  3. Square flap instead of a pointed one
  4. Using a chain or something else for the wristlet
  5. Using a satin fabric or sequins to make this an evening purse
  6. Varying sizes depending on the use
  7. Varying pockets
 I made this clutch even more sentimental by adding one of my grandmother's labels:
Grab the Kleenex, guys.
Basically, I'm pretty proud of this one.  It was simple, cost like $2, and wasn't very time consuming.  If you are a female who happens to know me in real life (because blog world is fake life), you can expect to receive one of these in the near future maybe even made out of a pair of your jeans.  A quick B&E for a sentimental purse?  I think Martha Stewart would approve.

I didn't post directions here, but if you are interested, shoot me an email at swissmissseamstress@gmail.com.

Alissa

1 comment: