Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Reasons four and five

I found these labels in my sewing box today, and it made me a little bit sentimental.


These labels were made for my grandmother from a friend.  My grandmother moved to the United States with her husband and three boys from the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
Picture of a clock tower in Bern I took on my last visit.


They moved their family to New Jersey to follow my grandfather's mother.  My grandmother is where I get my craftiness from.  She knitted and crocheted all of her kids warm weather socks (some of which we still use!), scarves, gloves, and hats.  She also sewed and repaired a lot of their clothing and even made her own wedding dress.  When she passed away, she left me her machine and all of her knitting and crocheting materials.
My beautiful Pfaff.  How I love her.



I miss her, but whenever I knit, crochet, or sew, I think of her.  Reason number four I'm spending a year crafting my own clothes?  My grandmother.  She got me started crocheting, and I have been in love with anything crafting ever since.  Fifth reason?  To teach.  Hopefully, my blog will teach people my age that making your own stuff isn't difficult.  It's fun and rewarding, just as my grandmother taught me.  I hope to have some easy tutorials here, so everyone can learn something new.

With the start of this blog, a lot of people (all 5 that read this) have been asking me when I started sewing.  I remember taking home-ec in seventh grade and already knowing how to sew, so I called my mom this morning and asked.  Her answer was that I learned in home-ec.  Let us just assume that I came out of the womb knowing how to knit scarves and sew dresses.

Things for all you people to look forward to (a.k.a. projects that will take me forever to actually get to):
1. Dresses for Tehya
2. Tango shirt
3. Simple knitted scarf tutorial
4. Rathi makes a skirt
5. Easy dance skirts

I'm obsessed with to-do lists.  I'm sure you'll get used to this.

3 comments:

  1. I'm super impressed with your writing style! Also, I creepily check this like every other day now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.
    Skull Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete