Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

T-shirt refashion

Number one fact you must know about me.  I hate t-shirts.  Those free ones that you get a million of when you're in college?  Hate 'em.  I have broad shoulders, and if anyone out there reading also has broad shoulders, they know what I'm talking about.  They just make me look ridiculous like I'm being choked by my own clothing.  The only reason I own them is because I try to show a shred of school spirit now and again.





So a couple of days ago I found this miracle tutorial on how to turn your crew neck t-shirts into v-necks.  Yeah, okay, it's still a t-shirt, but I'll actually wear it.

This tutorial is impeccable.  Great directions.  Easy to follow.  Here's how it went for me:



First I ripped the seam connecting the front of the collar to the t-shirt and cut the collar in half:




I stretched out the collar a lot.  When I first saw this tutorial, I thought the collar would end up looking stretched out when finished, but it didn't.  I wanted to make the v-neck as deep as I could, so I just stretched the heck out of it.  Then I cut the v.  I probably cut lower than 2 inches, but I checked to make sure my collar was long enough first.





I pinned the one side of the collar onto the t-shirt, right side to right side. Make sure to keep the collar stretched as you are pinning it on.





I sewed it on with very little seam allowance.  Probably around 1/8''.  I put a pin where the middle of the v was so I didn't sew past it.



I would suggest using thread that actually matches.  I was just too lazy to go find burnt orange thread.

Then I repeated for the other side of the collar.   This is what the collar looked like on the outside at this step...


 ...and on the inside


This is where my method differs from the tutorial.  I pinned the two pieced of collar together, outside to outside.  Then, I sewed them together straight up, following the center fold.



Finally, I ironed the collar to finish it off.



 And here's the finished product!


So now, I can wear all those free t-shirts I get and actually breathe in them.  Hooray!  I also wanted to slim the sleeves, but my broad shoulders struck again.  I turned the shirt inside out to pin it, but I couldn't take it in the way she suggested because my shoulders are much bigger.  This isn't over with, baggy t-shirt.  I will alter you.

Cost: $0.  I already owned all of the materials I used.





5 comments:

  1. Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for posting! My daughters are part of a local basketball league and I bought one of the shirts to support the team but I hate standard crew neck shirts. Will be doing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have broad shoulders and I love them. I usually cut the front of the T-shirt down the front to keep from choking. I am loving this idea and will try it and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for giving me such great information.
    Left Hand Pitcher

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Fightin' Texas Aggie who bleeds maroon, I take issue with your shirt ;) BUT not your tutorial! I can't stand the choky feeling from crewneck tshirts, and you have opened up a whole drawer-ful of possibilities now! I teach at a high school where we can wear jeans on Fridays...as long as we wear a school spirit shirt. Now I can convert those cute-but-I-can't-stand-the-neckline shirts to wear on Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I swear I was strangled or hung in a past life because I can't stand having anything touch my neck. I did about 8 shirts last week and it made band camp a lot more comfortable. And everyone thought I bought them that way! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete