Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The first entry

Hi,

My name is Alissa, and I'm in way over my head.

On January 1st, 2013, I embarked on a one year mission.  A mission to make all of my clothes for a year, rather than buying them.  Some of you may be thinking (especially those who thought this was a blog about hot chocolate and are totally not in the right place), why can't you just... not buy any clothes for a year?  Well, you see.  I just can't do that.  I, along with millions of women in the world, have a clothing addiction.  I love putting new pieces together and bargain hunting for the perfect sundress.  To me, it is more like an art form.  Some of you who have actually seen my outfits are probably just thinking "art form... this girl just wears a lot of cardigans."  Well, they are well thought out cardigans, okay?

After many years of solving most of my problems with retail therapy, I have decided to embark on this mission for several reasons.  First of all, hopefully I'll save some cash.  Buying patterns and fabric isn't as cheap as it used to be, but given the amount of time it takes to actually make clothes, I'm hoping to spend less over all.  Second, I want to get better at sewing.  The word "seamstress" in the title of this blog is a bit of a misnomer.  Whenever I try to put a zipper in a dress, it just looks like I was in a fight with a viscous coyote while attempting to sew.  Finally, I want to appreciate the things I own and stop my habit of buying clothes when I don't need them.  I suppose that sounds a little counter intuitive since I'm still going to be increasing the amount of clothing I have, but it makes sense to me.  Each of the pieces of clothing I make will come from inspiration and become more than just something I wear.  They'll be something I remember.  Plus, if I just made a blog about not buying clothes for a year, I can't imagine it would be that entertaining.  "Day 35... I had a dream a gang of cardigans were dragging me into a J. Crew..."  No.  We don't need any of that.

So here it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment