Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Polo because I have to.

No, I'm not pregnant.  I just am the victim of unisex clothing.


Ah, the work polo.  How I loathe you.  Whether it be unisex, only available in men's, or just strange women's fit, clothing associated with the work place never fit me.  I can't say that I blame them; my broad shoulders and long torso are not easy to accommodate.  But really, can't I have something that doesn't make me look like a box? 

As usual, I have decided to take matters into my own hands and put some curves into these polos.  Since I'm 5'9'' with big shoulders, I usually get a women's medium or a men's small and get to sewing.  That way the shirt will be long and broad enough, and I'll have enough fabric to work with. 

How to make your polo make you look like a woman again:

1. The easiest way to do this is to match it up with a polo or shirt that already fits you.  Put the model shirt on top of the gross polo, and mark the gross polo you which to alter with pins.  Only do this for the sides of the shirt.  The pins should meet at the natural armpit of the gross polo.  If not, there will be weird pouching.

If you do not have a shirt you can use as a model, put on the gross polo inside out and pin the excess fabric so there is at least one to one and a half inches of space between you and the new seam you plan on making.  Don't make it too tight.  Work polos are not where you should be bringing sexy back.

2. Make sure the pins match on either side of the shirt. 

3. Sew on the line with the pins

4. Try on to make sure it isn't too small or too big.

5. Cut off the excess fabric.

6. Enjoy looking like a woman again:



Sorry for the lack of pictures, but this isn't a difficult process.  It's pretty common sense: polo too big, make new seam, cut off excess.  Now everyone at work will assume you naturally look good in everything.  Happy sewing.

5 comments:

  1. Can you please make the men's polo not look like a short dress on me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes. Alternatively, you could just belt it and wear leggings.

      Delete
  2. Polo too big? Shrink it. Saves time. :) I only sew what is ripped or too long for my miniscule self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky that works for you! If I do that, the polo will be too short and I look like I'm wearing a crop top.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is crazy simple and awesome, really like the blog

    ReplyDelete