Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Veggie Tales: Day 3

Today's vegan dish was Daal, an Indian stew made of lentils and other vegetables.  Alvin found the recipe on the forum Something Awful, so I had him write this post:

When I was looking for vegan recipes, I wanted to find recipes that didn't involve substitutions or any gross fake meats. So we ended up looking at a lot Asian foods.  The main reason we're cooking vegan is to force ourselves to diversify more.  I've eaten daal and really enjoyed it (like all Indian food I've tried) but this was my first time making it.
The ingredients
How we make rice

First attempt didn’t go so well.  We fried the mustard and cumin until they popped.  I wasn’t paying attention and set the heat too high, so we burned the first set of spices and set off the fire alarm.
Burnt mustard seeds and cumin seed :(
Some of the mustard seed popped out of the pot and onto the floor, and Jacob ate it.  He started tearing up and licking his lips constantly, and he ended up drinking about 4 bowls of water.  It’s really not that spicy though, he was just being a baby.
Normally you’d add curry leaves here, but we didn’t have any and I wasn’t interested in running around town to find where to get some.

The rest of the recipe went pretty much as planned.
Sauteing the onions, garlic, and tomatoes with the
cumin seed, turmeric, mustard seed.
Adding the cooked red lentils to the sauteed vegetables.
After the vegetables and lentils cooked together
End product
 To be honest, this meal was only okay.  I like daal, but I’ve never had it as the only entrée, and I’m wasn’t really satisfied with just having lentils and rice.  It was cheap, and made a lot of food, but I don’t know if we’ll be able to finish it.  All Alissa had to say was "I would like this better with some pork," but that's what she says about everything vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment