Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Braided Scarf

As usual, the weather is flip flopping here in Texas, and after a week of weather in the near 80's, it has dropped to the 50's.  What does that mean?  Scarf time.

I saw this scarf on Pinterest, and at first I thought it was cute, then I thought it was odd, then I thought it was too long, then I thought it was cute, then I decided 2 hours on Pinterest is enough and I need to do my homework. I started my homework, and then I spent the next two hours making this scarf.  If you are a senior in college, you will understand this.



This scarf was really easy to make and not very time consuming.  If you are a beginner, this would be a really great first scarf to make.

First you chain about a million chains.  I didn't count, but I measured the length of my chain to be 63"
 

Then you double crochet in all of the chains.

End the piece.  It will look like this:
Repeat two more times so you have three long double crochet strands:
Looks like scarf barf! Yeah, I rhyme.
Then take the three ends and either saftey pin it to something (a couch, a comforter, something that won't tear) or have a friend hold the ends.  Obviously, I don't have friends, so I pinned it to my comforter.  Braid the strands.




Make sure you don't do it too tight, if you do, it will end up being really dense and odd looking.

Take the three ends at one end and stick your crochet hook through them.



Then wrap the scarf around your neck without letting it twist.  Lift it off over your head while holding the other end in place.  This way, you will not have a twist in the scarf when you put it on.

Put the opposite ends through the crochet hook.



Put a ribbon or piece of yarn on the end of your crochet hook and pull it through all 6 strands.


Tie a bow.  This can be done with ribbon or just yarn tied in a knot.

And there it is!






I thought it looked a little too tight this way, so I loosened it up:

Sorry, it's 11 at night, and I'm not photographing well.

I personally prefer it much looser, but people said they liked the first way, too, so I left it.

Really, guys, this is a good beginner scarf, maybe even for kids.  I have no reference on the capabilities of children; I'm just throwing it out there.  Currently, I'm teaching a class of 5th graders how to ballroom dance, and while they are pretty good at getting the moves down, they don't tolerate the opposite sex very well.  I don't know what that means for crocheting, but good luck to all of you.  Happy crocheting.


Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment